Wedding Officiants LLC, serving all of Minnesota and Wisconsin 612-825-4432   P.O. Box 80777 Minneapolis, MN 55408
Wisconsin Wedding Officiants

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the qualifications of a Wisconsin Wedding Officiant?
In Wisconsin, a licensed wedding officiant must file an application at their county service center.

The officials authorized to solemnize marriages include judges, and licensed ministers, priests or rabbis. There are also special provisions for marriage between members of the Bahai, Hindu, Quaker and American Indian religious groups

Do we need a marriage license?
Marriage license Laws in the state of Wisconsin, here is what you need to bring with you, and what you need to know about the Wisconsin marriage laws before filling out the Wisconsin marriage license form.

You’ll typically need to apply for your marriage license at least one month before your wedding ceremony. You’ll traditionally need to send in your birth certificates, tax information, and other official documents. You don’t, however, want to apply for your marriage license too early. In some states, the licenses do expire, if you don’t get married within a few months.

When you apply for your license, you’ll not only need a proof of identification and age, will need to provide any information about previous marriages, and will need to pay a fee.
Residency Requirement: Do not have to be a resident of Wisconsin.

Application Requirement: Only one applicant need apply in person.
Applicant will be required to complete all information about both applicants: full names; addresses, dates and places of birth; bride’s name after marriage.

Identification requirements: vary in each county. A valid drivers license or certified copy of birth certificate may be requested.

Waiting Period: 5 days.

Blood Tests: No tests.

Under 18: Applicants 18 years of age may obtain a license. It is necessary to provide proof of age.

Applicants between the ages of 15 and 18 must have the consent of a parent, guardian or the judge of juvenile court.

Applicants younger than 15 needs the written consent of a parent of guardian and the consent of a juvenile court judge.

Common Law Marriage: No. However, the State does recognize common law marriages that are valid in other states.

Valid: License is valid for 6 months days.
The license can only be used within the State of Wisconsin.

It is important that you verify all information with your local marriage license office or county clerk before making any wedding or travel plans.

Please Note: State and county marriage license requirements often change. The above information is for guidance only and should not be regarded as legal advice.

Where do we apply for a marriage license?
At a county clerks office or local government center.

Do we need pre-marital counseling?
Pre-marital counseling is not required by the State of Wisconsin; though a license fee discount is available for those participating in a counseling program.

How much notice do you require to officiate a wedding?
Last minute weddings are welcomed. Usually one of us will be available.


Wordpress Website Design by Wizzy Wig Design, Minneapolis MN